Engineering Ferrari - Design News / EETimes Article
Posted by Machines Italia | 18 May 2012
You must be logged in to submit a rating for this entry.
Nothing but pasta could possibly be more representative of Italian sumptuousness than Ferrari, the sexy luxury race car brand that made its debut in 1947 with the 125S, produced in Maranello, Italy, and bearing the Ferrari trademark. Maranello, near the city of Modena, has been Ferrari’s home from the firm’s inception, and the main museum dedicated to the firm’s famous fast cars, as well as its assembly line and various factories are all situated there.
The Ferrari museum, opened just more than a year after Enzo Ferrari’s death in 1990, gets over 200,000 visitors a year from all corners of the globe, who come to ogle and drool over their favorite models—from the Ferrari 125S and 166 Inter all the way up to the Ferrari FF—at close range. The expo shows off cars past and present across its 2,500-meter space, including rare vintage models and a well-stocked trophy hall.
Truly impressive to the engineering-minded, however, is the company’s large factory, situated right next to the museum and designed with employees and technology in mind. The plant, or the “Ferrari citadel” as it’s referred to, has expanded and evolved over its six decades of existence, with famous architects like Renzo Piano, Jean Nouvel, Marco Visconti, Massimiliano Fuksas and Luigi Sturchio all leaving their indelible mark on the complex.
Page 1 of 4